History comes Alive
It's happening before your very eyes,
History lives in Bath.
The Settlement of Bath dates back to the American Revolution and owes its existence to a group of United Empire Loyalists. In 1783, the Townships of Kingston and Ernestown were laid out, and with the summer of 1784, the Jessup Loyal Rangers drew lots for their land along the Bay of Quinte around what is now Bath. Names still common in the town - Hawley, Davy, Rose, Amey - were entered on the map as each drew his lot. John Davy laid out the town's first streets at the base of lot 10 on the first concession. In 1804 the town as a whole had been laid out and surveyed.
No Railway for Bath
The town's first church was constructed by Rev. John Langhorne in 1793 while the Province's first school was established here in 1811. In this year the town boasted 2300 people. By-passed by the Kingston-York road in 1832 and the Grand Trunk Railway in the 1850's, Bath lost its important commercial role to nearby Kingston. Incorporated as a village in 1859, it has remained a small, quiet village to this day.