The Fairfield Brothers
William Jr. and Benjamin Fairfield had followed in their industrious father's footsteps. William Fairfield Sr. had served in Jessups Corps during the Revolution moving his large family from Pawlet Vermont (New Hampshire Land Grants) following 1784. William Sr. had operated a Saw Mill for Sir John Johnson in Gananoque long enough to send the lumber needed to build his home in 1793 near present day Amherstview (at the eastern gates of the Loyalist Parkway).
William Jr. and Benjamin called themselves active Loyalists, operating a shipping business, as merchants and farming. They served in the Legislative Assembly, as a Commissioner of Roads, Customs Officers and had the first Post Office believed to been housed in a log structure on the grounds of their 1796 house built on Lot 11 in Ernesttown.
The Schooner Two Brothers
According to official records from the years 1808 - 1812, Jonathan, William and Benjamin Fairfield had and operated a schooner, Two Brothers, along Lake Ontario as part of their merchant shipping business. Their shipping business was focused on Eastern Ontario and they ventured across the lake to New York State.
On the morning of November 10, 1812, Commodore Chauncey with the Oneida and his accompanying fleet spied the schooner "then lying in the said harbour," at Ernesttown. Chauncey sent ashore a small force aboard the Hamilton under the command of Lt. McPherson.
There are conflicting reports as to what happens next. Some have Benjamin Fairfield sneaking onto the Two Brothers to cut the rigging and set it on fire in an attempt to destroy the vessel and save the village. Other accounts have the rigging being destroyed.
The main account has the vessel being destroyed, set a-fire by Americans after it was determined that it would slow them down while in pursuit of their main prize, the Royal George. Their attempts would not go unmolested, the Americans would face resistance from British soldiers garrisoned nearby as well as local militia